Mexican yogurt parfaits also known as yogur con fruta (yogurt with fruit) make for a delicious Mexican breakfast option. A great thing about Mexican yogurt parfaits is that it’s easily adaptable. If you enjoy this recipe, you’ll have to check out my ensalada de frutas recipe next!
Mexican yogurt parfaits are also known as bionicos.
What are Mexican fruit parfaits made of?
Mexican fruit parfaits consist of a yogurt based cream sauce and a variety of fresh fruit.
Then they can be topped with chopped pecans, granola and shredded coconut.
Ingredients needed for yogur con fruta
- vanilla yogurt
- sour cream
- sweetened condensed milk
- Mexican vanilla
- grapes (sliced)
- apples (chopped)
- bananas (sliced)
- chopped pecans
- shredded sweetened coconut
What I like most about this yogur con fruta recipe is that it can be easily adapted.
For example my husband prefers to use Greek vanilla yogurt instead.
Sour cream could also be substituted with media crema.
As for the fruit you can totally use what you have on hand.
I use the fruits I have listed above because they’re what I usually have in my kitchen.
Use your choice of fresh fruits.
Some good options are cantaloupe, melon, strawberries and kiwis just to name a few.
If you do plan to use banana like myself then make sure you don’t make this recipe very far in advance as bananas do go brown.
How to make the bionicos cream
Making the cream is very easy.
Just put the yogurt, sour cream, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla in a bowl and mix together with a spoon until well combined.
Now this recipe will make a lot of cream. I like to make sure I have a little leftover for the next day.
Combine the fruit together in a large bowl.
Now it’s time to assemble the Mexican yogurt parfaits.
I like to do this in layers.
Add some of the fruit to each bowl that the Mexican parfaits will be served in.
Then pour a little cream over the fruit.
Then do another layer of fruit.
Now add the last layer of cream.
Next you can add your favorite toppings such as the granola, chopped pecans and shredded sweetened coconut.
I highly recommend you try toasting the shredded coconut.
Toasting the coconut gives it a really delicious nutty flavor and crisp texture that I love.
Baked by an introvert has a really great tutorial on how to toast coconut three different ways.
Tips and tricks for making yogur con fruta
- If using banana don’t make this recipe too far in advance as the bananas will turn brown.
- Try toasting the shredded coconut for a delicious nutty flavor.
- Adapt this recipe to your liking. Use Greek yogurt if you prefer, change up the fruits or use media crema instead of sour cream.
- Store leftover cream in the refrigerator where it should stay good for two days.
Looking for more delicious recipes? Try these:
- camote con leche (sweet potatoes with milk)
- banana licuado (banana smoothie)
- strawberry banana oat smoothie
- mango and coconut milk smoothie
Mexican yogurt parfaits
I hope you enjoyed today’s recipe for Mexican yogurt parfaits..
They’re a delicious and easy recipe that’s perfect for breakfast or as an afternoon snack.
Let me know what you think of them in the comments below.
Thanks for visiting, see you soon!
Mexican Yogurt Parfaits
Mexican yogurt parfaits are a delicious Mexican recipe consisting of fruit in a yogurt and cream mixture. It's perfect for breakfast or even as an afternoon snack!
- 1 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbs Mexican vanilla
- 1 cup sliced grapes
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 apples diced
- 1 banana sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup granola
- 1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
Put the yogurt, sour cream, sweetened condensed milk and Mexican vanilla in a large bowl and stir with a spoon until well combined.
Combine the fruit together in a large bowl.
Add a little of the fruit to the serving bowls then pour a little cream over the fruit. Then do another layer of fruit and cream.
Top the bionicos with chopped pecans, granola and shredded coconut.
Serve and enjoy!
Store leftover cream in the refrigerator.
- Store leftover cream in the refrigerator where it should keep for two days.
- Don’t make this recipe too far in advance as the bananas will turn brown.
- Try toasting the shredded sweetened coconut for a delicious nutty flavor and crisp texture.
- Adapt the recipe to your liking. Change up the fruits or use Greek yogurt.