Papas con huevo, or Mexican potatoes and eggs, is a traditional Mexican breakfast that you can throw together in minutes. Delicious seasoned potatoes and scrambled eggs create a breakfast that’s filling and comforting. If you like this recipe, you’ll have to check out these cheesy Mexican potatoes next!
Choosing what to cook and serve for breakfast isn’t always the easiest decision. It can be hard to find breakfast recipes that are fast, budget-friendly, and still absolutely delicious.
When I’m searching for an easy and satisfying breakfast idea, papas con huevo is a recipe I frequently turn to. It’s the perfect way to start the day!
Mexican breakfast potatoes ingredients
The starchy softness of Yukon Gold potatoes makes them the ideal choice of potato for papas con huevo. You’ll want to dice the potatoes into very small cubes so that they’ll cook quickly. If you’re looking for a substitution, opt for Russet Potatoes or Red Potatoes instead.
You can use white or brown eggs – whichever you have on hand.
White, yellow or red onions will both work in this breakfast recipe. However, I personally prefer white onion chopped into small pieces.
I love the mild heat and flavor of jalapeño peppers in papas con huevo, but almost any type of chilies or peppers will do. Serrano, habanero, Thai, or even Scotch Bonnet are all great options. Bell peppers are great for those who are sensitive to spicy foods. Feel free to experiment with the types of chilies you add or the level of spice you like in this recipe.
Herbs, Spices and Seasoning
Garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
This oil is perfect for crisping up the potatoes, without imparting too much flavor. Choose a similar neutral oil if you need an olive oil substitution.
How to make it
Heat up some of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes while stirring frequently.
Next add the onion, jalapeno, salt, pepper and garlic powder to the skillet. Let cook for about 5 minutes while stirring frequently.
Now, move the potatoes to the side. Add the remaining olive oil to the empty side of the skillet. Add the beaten eggs and stir until cooked through. Then mix with the potatoes and remove the skillet from the heat. This dish is now ready to serve!
The potatoes are able to cook rather quickly because they’re diced into very small cubes. This is very important. If you cut them into larger cubes they will take longer to cook.
How to serve papas con huevo
There really are no wrong ways to serve and eat papas con huevo. This recipe is fantastic on its own, but there are a few other ways to enjoy it too.
- Topped with Salsa – Bring even more spice and texture into this dish with a dollop of salsa on top. A roasted habanero salsa or piquin salsa are both great compliments to Mexican potatoes and eggs.
- Refried Beans – Whip up a batch of refried beans as a tasty side dish to Papas con huevo. The flavors work well together and the beans add some extra fiber and protein to the meal.
- Tacos – Wrap up your Mexican breakfast potatoes in a homemade tortilla for some amazing breakfast tacos. From here, you can add tons of toppings to customize your tacos. Pico de gallo, fresh cilantro, and a sprinkling of cotija cheese would be just a few of my suggested taco toppings.
- Extra Protein – Although the eggs provide plenty of protein, you can also beef up the protein content with any meat you like. Diced ham, crumbled bacon, and ground chorizo would all be easy and appetizing ways to boost this recipe for a protein-packed breakfast.
- Packed with Veggies – Papas con huevo can be a sneaky vehicle for veggies if you’re dealing with picky eaters or just want to get more vegetables into your diet. You can sauté fresh spinach, add diced tomatoes, slices of mushrooms, or even fresh summer squash like zucchini into this mix.
- Breakfast Beverages – No matter how you choose to enjoy this Mexican breakfast recipe, don’t forget to treat yourself to a breakfast beverage too. A refreshing smoothie like my oat milk breakfast smoothie with banana is a fun and tasty drink to have on the side.
How long does this last in the fridge?
Mexican potatoes and eggs will keep for up to three days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The papas con huevo can also be frozen in an airtight container or bag for about a month. However, keep in mind that freezing will slightly change the texture of the eggs. When you’re ready to reheat the leftovers, you can do so in a skillet over medium heat. Add a bit of olive oil to the pan and stir until the ingredients are heated through.
Follow me on TikTok
My TikTok account is where I will be sharing easy to follow videos of my favorite recipes! You’ll definitely want to check it out!
Follow me on Facebook
My Facebook page is where I share even more delicious recipes along with photos and videos!
Papas con huevo recipe
This delicious Mexican style breakfast of potatoes and scrambled eggs is something the whole family can enjoy.
Let us know what you think of this yummy recipe in the comments below and don’t forget to leave it a rating.
Follow me @thriftandspice on Pinterest to see more delicious recipes!
Papas con Huevo
Papas con huevo is an easy and delicious Mexican breakfast recipe consisting of diced potatoes and scrambled eggs.
- 4 gold potatoes diced
- 5 eggs beaten
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 jalapeño chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3 tbs olive oil
Heat up 2 tbs of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes while stirring frequently.
Next add the onion, jalapeño, salt, pepper and garlic powder to the skillet. Let cook for about 5 minutes while stirring frequently.
Then move the potatoes to the side. Add the remaining 1 tbs of olive oil to the empty side of the skillet.
Add the beaten eggs and stir until cooked through. Then mix with the potatoes and remove the skillet from the heat.
Serve and enjoy!
Make sure to dice the potatoes into very small cubes so that they’ll cook quickly.