If you love papas a la Mexicana for breakfast and brunch, then you’ll love camarones rancheros for lunch and dinner. Camarones rancheros, also known as camarones a la Mexicana or Mexican style shrimp, is a rich and flavorful combination of shrimp, tomatoes, onions, serrano peppers, and spices. It’s a great meal to whip up for crazy weeknights when you’re short on time, but still want something truly delicious.
What does ranchero style mean?
“Ranchero” style or “A la Mexicana” style refers to a type of dish that is prepared in a sauce of tomato, white onion, and a green pepper like serrano or jalapeño. The three ingredients together mimic the colors of the Mexican flag, which is why they’re called “A la Mexicana.” Although the styles mean the same thing, “Ranchero” literally means, “a rancher,” but in food it loosely translates to “country-style” or “home-style.” In other words, ranchero food is Mexican comfort food at its best.
Camarones rancheros ingredients
Medium shrimp are the best size shrimp to work with here. I’d also recommend saving yourself some time and energy and buying shrimp that’s already been peeled and deveined.
Roma tomatoes and serrano pepper. (Use jalapeños if serrano peppers aren’t available).
Onion (thinly sliced)
While white onions are my preferred choice, you can substitute yellow onions if needed.
Herbs, Spices and Seasoning
Garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and salt.
Olive oil is perfect for cooking the shrimp and other ingredients, but a few tablespoons of unsalted butter will also work in a pinch.
How to make it
Add the shrimp to a large bowl. Season with the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and salt. Mix together well to make sure the shrimp is evenly coated.
Next, heat up a little olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Then add the shrimp and cook on each side for 1 minute.
Then transfer the shrimp to a plate.
Now, reduce the heat to medium and add a little more olive oil. Add the onion and serrano pepper and cook for a few minutes.
Then add the minced garlic and continue to cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and stir. Cover the skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
Return the shrimp to the skillet and continue to cook for 3-4 more minutes.
How to serve camarones rancheros?
Camarones rancheros is an incredibly versatile dish that can be served tons of different ways. There’s an option for everyone and every dietary preference. Plus, the endless combinations means you and your family will never get bored.
- Shrimp Tacos – Turn this recipe into camarones rancheros tacos with some crunchy taco shells and a few toppings of your choice. Diced avocado, some crumbled queso fresco, a few additional slices of serrano pepper, cilantro, and a lime wedge on top will create some tasty tacos.
- Rice and Beans – If you have company or a large crowd to feed, try serving the camarones rancheros over arroz Mexicano with a side of refried black beans. Not only is the combination delicious, but it also helps this meal go further.
- Gorditas- For an easy, handheld lunch, stuff the camarones into fresh gorditas. Enjoy as is or add in extra ingredients for even more flavor and texture.
- Pasta- Try a bit of a food fusion approach by serving the camarones rancheros over a bowl of pasta. With a side of crusty bread, it becomes a Mexican variation of the classic Italian dish, shrimp fra diavolo.
- Beverages: No matter how you choose to enjoy your camarones rancheros, be sure to add a light and fruity drink to balance out the hint of spice from the shrimp. Beverages like agua de melon, pineapple agua fresca, or even piña colada agua fresca are all fantastic options.
How long does camarones rancheros last in the fridge?
This shrimp recipe is best enjoyed fresh, but can be stored as leftovers. Place the shrimp in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to three days. I would not, however, recommend freezing because it will cause the shrimps’ texture to become chewy and tough.
To reheat from the refrigerator, place the shrimp in a large skillet over medium heat with about a tablespoon of olive oil. Gently stir the ingredients until they’re heated through and enjoy.
Let us know what you think of this tasty Mexican shrimp dish in the comments below and don’t forget to leave it a rating.
Follow me @thriftandspice on Pinterest to see more delicious recipes!
Camarones rancheros, also known as camarones a la Mexicana or Mexican style shrimp, is a rich and flavorful combination of shrimp, tomatoes, onions, serrano peppers, and spices.
- 20 oz shrimp peeled and deveined
- 5 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 white onion thinly sliced
- 1 serrano pepper chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbs olive oil
In a large bowl, add the shrimp.
Season with the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Mix together well.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
Add the shrimp and cook on each side for one minute. Then, transfer to a plate.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Add the onion and serrano pepper and cook for a few minutes.
Next, add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Then, add the chopped tomatoes and stir. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Return the shrimp to the pan and cover and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!