Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
Slow cooker chicken stew will become a family favorite! Served over rice it will feed a large family.
A very dear friend of mine made this one night a few months ago. I ended up refilling my plate at least two or three times. It was that good! I asked her for the recipe and she told me this long list of ingredients she used. The recipe I’m posting today doesn’t include all of the ingredients she used. This is a simplified version of her chicken stew but just as delicious!
I love that this chicken stew is made in a slow cooker. I feel like I don’t use mine enough. Being a wife and busy mom of two young kids I really should start using it more. Hopefully in 2018 I’ll have a lot more slow cooker recipes on my blog.
How yummy does this look? I love meat with vegetables especially bell peppers. Y’all know I love my bell peppers! The liquid or gravy this stew produces is amazing.
I served it over white rice. The rice does a nice job of soaking up the gravy. You could also serve a nice crusty bread on the side. That would be amazing.
The stew is very flavorful thanks to all the delicious ingredients. One of them is the Goya adobo all purpose seasoning. I don’t have an exact measurement that I add to the stew I just add a few good shakes. I don’t salt the stew until its done so that it isn’t overly salty as the adobo seasoning already contains salt.
Slow Cooker Chicken Stew Tips
- Use bone in chicken pieces such as drumsticks or thighs. Chicken breast tend to be drier and not as tasty.
- Serve over rice or with a nice crusty bread to soak up all that delicious liquid.
- You can easily substitute some of the vegetables for a vegetable of your choice such as potatoes.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the chicken meat is tender and falling apart.
- Salt after cooking. The Goya adobo seasoning already has salt and you don’t want to over salt it.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Now is the perfect time to make this amazing slow cooker chicken stew. It’s freezing, at least here in Kentucky it is! If you make it please let me know how it turned out. Thanks for visiting and Happy New Years!
Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
Slow cooker chicken stew is comforting and will warm you up during the cold winter months.
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 white onion chopped
- 3 bell peppers chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 5 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3-5 shakes goya adobo all purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup water
Add all ingredients to slow cooker except for the salt.
Set slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours.
The stew is ready when the chicken meat is tender and easily falls apart.
Salt the stew to taste and serve over rice.